Northampton Township Parks & Recreation
Skip to nav
Swim Conditioning and Training Program
This program is currently unavailable. Click here to view all of our current programs.
For over 40 years, first under Northampton Valley Country Club, and for the past 20 years, Northampton Township, we have hosted a summer swim team. This long history clearly shows our dedication to our swim team members and their families. We have been following very closely the ever changing guidelines from the Governor’s Office, the CDC, the PA and Bucks County Health Departments. Participant and staff safety is always our top priority.
Following much discussion, the review of governmental restrictions, CDC and USA Swimming guidelines, and the uncertainty of when these restrictions might allow for safe swim competition, it was decided that Northampton Township will not participate as a member of Lower Bucks Swim League this summer. This was a very difficult decision as our coaches and staff have a sincere passion for aquatic activity.
Instead, beginning July 6, our current swim coaches Geoff Boodey and Mike Underwood will offer the following six week Swim Training and Conditioning Program for qualified Northampton Township Swim Club members. Geoff and Mike both have several years of experience coaching youth and high school age swimmers. Although they may have been doing dryland work, swimmers will be eased into the water to prevent any injuries.
Our program is designed for swimmers who wish to improve their ability to swim the four competitive strokes, learn correct starts and turns, gain strength and have fun.
This is a training program, and coaches will work on proper stroke mechanics and techniques to prepare swimmers for the upcoming fall and winter seasons.
- Swimmers must be members of Northampton Township Swim Club (Junior, Single or part of a Family Membership) between the ages of 5 and 18.
- Swimmers must be able to swim 25 meters without stopping in order to participate in this program.
- Swimmers must be able to follow all CDC social distancing and hand washing requirements.
Topics covered but not limited to:
- Body Position and Balance - proper streamline, catch, head positioning, etc. for all four competitive strokes
- Drills and Skills - various drills to improve technique and make strokes more efficient
- Power and Speed - when to apply effort and at what part of the stroke to ensure the effectiveness of each stroke
- Athletic Endurance – aerobic exercise to gain strength and fitness
All participant parents must be aware of the following:
- Covid-19 specific waiver must be signed for each participant prior to first training date.
- Only swimmers will be permitted to enter the pool AFTER being temperature and symptom screened. (No parent or sibling spectators).
- Arrival time should be as close as possible to when activity begins.
- Swimmers must arrive and leave in swimsuits (no changing at the pool, no use of lockers)
- This summer, according to BCHD guidelines, chlorine levels in pools should be maintained between 5 and 8 ppm. Goggles are highly recommended.
- No sharing of equipment will be permitted.
- Swimmers should bring a full water bottle. No fountain will be available.
- No physical contact with others such as hand shaking, high fives, etc.
- Directions must be followed to allow for social distancing during and between drills.
- Swimmers should wash hands or use hand sanitizer before entering and after leaving the pool.
- Participants will be asked to leave the facility as quickly as safely possible following the program as time must be allotted between sessions to allow for proper sanitizing of all touchable surfaces.
- When weather is questionable, parents should check for email blasts before leaving for the pool, and consider waiting in the parking lot if storms are expected during assigned session times.
Multiple sessions, based on age and ability, will be held between 7:00 am and 11 am. Session times are planned, weather permitting, Monday through Friday, July 6 through August 14:
7:00 am to 8:00 am
8:30 am to 9:30 am
10:00 am to 10:45 am
Questions regarding the conditioning and training program should be directed to Coach Geoff at email@example.com. Questions regarding the pool or Covid-19 safety plan should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.